Tuesday, 23 August 2016

The Big Friendly Giant

As kids, my brothers and I, used to watch De GVR (which is the Dutch version of the BFG), an animated film. I remember how much I liked it.With the songs and the jokes. I've never read the book though, not until this week. Actually, I never read anything written by Roald Dahl (which I should have), but I saw the book in Porto and thought it was time to buy it (because it was cheaper and we got a 10% discount). The new film came out over a month ago, I haven't had the time yet to watch it but I plan to do so (now that I've finished reading the book).

I started reading it and immediately started to annoy Fabian. I loved the jokes, the language the BFG uses and I couldn't help myself so I kept reading it out loud to him while he was trying to read a different book (hihi, sorry). Like how he says human beans instead of human beings. Disgusterous instead of disgusting. Thick ear instead of thin air, the list goes on and on. I caught myself laughing out loud several times. 

However, it wasn't the book that got to me, it was the introduction written by one of Roald Dahl's daughters. She writes about how her dad would tell them stories every night before bedtime. How he would stage things in the garden and pretend that the BFG came by their house, because he wanted his daughters to believe in magic. She got to see the film set and met Steven Spielberg (who she refers to as the BFD) and everything. She wrote:"I could feel my father walking with me around this enchanting land of giants and dreams. I could hear him telling me, as I walked around in awe, 'You see Lukie, if you don't believe in magic, you will never find it. You believed and look, you've found it. Isn't it marvellous!'"

It's both sad and beautiful. Sad because he is not here to see it himself, beautiful because it means so much to his daughter to see it now. It's not just a story, it's not just a movie. It's so much more than that. Just like (for example) Harry Potter is more than that. It is part of our lives. Part of a legacy that makes our world a little bit more magical and beautiful, between the horrible things that happen everyday. I realise that I would have probably liked the book better if I had been younger. It can be a bit slow at times, which is perfectly fine for kids but for me it made it more difficult to pay attention to what was happening (especially because I was already familiar with the plot of the story). Anyways, I feel like you should all read the book or at least watch (one of) the movies, because it's so wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment