Thursday, 25 August 2016

Against All Odds

So my friend Aline recommended this book by Patricia Vanasse, Against All Odds, to me (or well, she actually recommended the writer to me) and due to uni I haven't had the time to read it, but now I finally have. I will not give you the full synopsis of the book like I usually do, because frankly the synopsis of the book is pretty big and I like the space to write what I want to say. So instead I'll give you this:
Sometimes boy meets girl, and the stars align, and their future is laid out neatly before them. Together forever. Meant to be. But Max and Loren are not one of those couples.

Before I start my review, I would like to say that I think these sentences do not give an awful lot of credit to other romantic stories, because it's almost never THAT easy. But for the purpose of this story, let's roll with it. The book works from two different angles, through the eyes of both main characters, Max and Loren. Due to uncomfortable circumstances, Max has to move into Loren's house. Both of the characters are struggling at the moment. Max with his mom and dad, and Loren with the loss of her best friend Lily.

This book was an easy and pleasant read. I felt like I stepped back into the skin of a 17 year old girl. Especially when it came to the anger both Max and Loren feel towards their parents. They are misunderstood and try to reach out but it does not have the effect they were hoping for. Both try to explain to their parents that what they want is not what the main characters need. For example, Loren wants to go to Julliard, which if you ask me, is huge. Especially because she actually has a shot at it. However, to her parents this is not good enough because dance is just a hobby (her words not mine).

Max' mother walked out on him two years earlier and she is trying to get back into his life, even though he tells her he does not want her in his life because of what she did. Instead of giving him space and trying to listen to him/his needs. She claims more space and thinks of annoying and clever ways to force him to move back in with her. To me the book is about those struggles between parents and their teens. The teens that feel misunderstood and the parents who want the best for their teens but cannot communicate with them due to their rebellious behaviour (and yelling).

Patricia Vanasse really got that part down. I almost wanted to yell at the mothers in this book myself. As for the love story between Max and Loren, it's clear that there is a connection between the two. However, it did not get to me as I expected it too, which I think has to do with the fact that Loren already was in love with him before the story started. I missed the whole part of her falling in love with him, which made it hard for me to actually get into that feeling myself. Nevertheless, I'm very curious about Vanasse's other books.

No comments:

Post a Comment