Wednesday, 3 August 2016

Harry Potter & The Cursed Child

The excitement for this book started a few weeks back when we were in London. We walked past the theatre in which the play was going to be shown. We tried getting tickets but needless to say it was impossible (because it is sold out until may 2017). I tried to push my excitement away again (I can be very impatient about these things, which is why I did not think about the book earlier on). 

Not too long after, Waterstones Amsterdam created an event on Facebook, saying that they would open their store at 23:30 on the 30th of July, just so fans could dress up as their favourite Harry Potter characters and so they could be some of the first to buy the book at 01:00 (because then it'll be 00:00 in England). This is where my excitement got the better of me. As a young girl, my mother and I waited in front of the Bruna in our hometown, for a similar reason (they opened their doors at 00:00 for Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows).


Without much thought my boyfriend and I decided to go as Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy (as we did with Halloween as well)(which was a good call because we got interviewed by the Parool because of our couple costume). She's one of my favourite characters, because of the love she has for her son above all else.  A friend of mine went as Luna and another friend went as a slightly more modern version of Harry Potter. We waited in line for a while (sooo many fans!) and then bought the book, or at least a ticket with which we could get our copy at 1:00 AM. We waited upstairs and decided not to stand in line the whole time considering we already bought the book. So me and Lea/Luna started looking at other books. Foolishly, we went back downstairs to look at more (and pay for them), not realising that, of course, that we would not be able to go back upstairs due to the line that was all through the store! Seriously, a looot of people. But due to the clever system (paying up front) the line went crazy fast. Before we knew it we had a copy of the book in our hands and were in front of the store again. What an experience.. The synopsis of the novel/script is as follows: 
It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn't much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband, and a father of three school-age children. While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes darkness comes from unexpected places.
I know a lot of people are really looking forward to reading this book and thus I will not spoil what happens in the book here (which would be hard anyways because the book is the script of the play that has been in theatres for a while (previews and such)). I will merely mention my opinion of the book, in comparison to the other seven books.

I was both disappointed and pleased with this book. To me it was very clear that J.K. Rowling was doing her very best to please the fans. We got something old we, we got something new, but because the book was in script form it felt rushed. It started with Albus Severus Potter going to Hogwarts for the fist time ever and only a few pages later, he was already going to Hogwarts for his fourth year! I would have liked to see this book as a novel, like old times, simply because now there was no room for a lot of silliness or bonding with the characters. I did not feel connected to the characters like I used to with the other novels. Nevertheless, this book made me laugh and it made me cry and I was extremely sad and overjoyed when I finished reading it. I am really happy with the release of the book, I just wish it was a tat different. I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did. If you do (or don't), let me know what you thought of it?

2 comments:

  1. I got my Harry Potter and the Cursed Child book today.
    I brought it from Amazon and I got it in just 2 days!
    Amazon link:
    Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool. Do you like the book?

      Delete