Monday, 23 May 2016

Game of thrones: Favourite Characters recap

Contains spoilers if you haven't seen the series up until S06E05
A few years ago I made a list of my favourite Game of Thrones characters. since then the list has somewhat changed. My five favourite characters were: 1 Daenarys Targaryan. 2 Tyrion Lannister. 3 Jon Snow. 4 Arya Stark and 5 Jaime Lannister. Two of these have disappeared from the list and the others are on different spots. This time I will only do four, simply because I don't really have a clear fifth character I would like to put in this list.

My favourite character in the Game of Thrones TV series is Jon Snow. I know a lot of fans do not agree. Not only because of the character, but mainly because Kit Harington is perceived as a horrible or bad representation of the character in the books. However, for me this is not as important. I'm currently too obsessed with the 'R+L=J' theory to actually evaluate the actor and character. This character shows a lot of potential in light of this theory. To me, he is the son of ice and fire, mostly because I refuse to believe that Eddard Stark fathered Jon (its super out of character for him because he is loyal and way too honourable). The fact that Jon was brought back to life by the 'god of fire' only enforces (my hope of) it. Also I really appreciate the character; he's kind and determined to do the right thing (or at least he was before he was 'murdered' by his own men, I have yet to see if he's still both those things now).

The runner up is Arya Stark (played by Maisie Williams) She has been feisty, determined and bad-ass for a while, but this season (and a bit of last season) she's becoming very awesome (or at least that's how it seems). This character also has a lot of potential for the future. I can't wait to see her kick some ass this and hopefully the following seasons. Part of me hates the fact that she is becoming 'no-one' because I've been hoping and dreaming of a Jon - Arya reunion since season one. They were so close and cute, being that she loved and accepted him as her brother. I still hope for the reunion a little bit. Especially since Sansa and Jon have been reunited and this was a little emotional, imagine how emotional it would be if Jon and Arya are reunited. I can feel my heart breaking already. However, since she's 'no-one' now (I'm assuming that's what she is now), that will not (or at least should not) matter to her any more. Nevertheless I cannot wait for her to start assassinating bad guys. I feel like Arya is Celaena Sardothien of Game of Thrones (for anyone who does not know who that is, go read Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas. To summarize: a bad-ass 18 year old assassin) and she therefore deserves this spot in my list.

On third place is Tyrion Lannister. I feel like this particular one does not need much of an explanation, other than maybe the fact that the character is portrayed by Peter Dinklage, which in my opinion is enough of an inclination of how awesome this character is. In the last episode I saw he made a comment to Missandei (who asked why he was allowed to say anything or make decisions in name of Dany): "I drink and I know things". My ex-boyfriend has a theory that Tyrion will receive one of Daenerys' dragons, which only grew after the scene presented in the gif above. He's a smart and witty character. I have great hopes for him, simply because he has a good heart and mind. He may be a drunkard but he sure knows which side he should be on. His family never accepted or loved him, but if you ask me he couldn't have been given a better gift than their hate, because this is way better than being one of them. 

Fourth we have Bran Stark (portrayed by Isaac Hempstead Wright). For reasons also mentioned when I was talking about Jon, I'm also really obsessed with this character at the moment. He's kind of travelling back in time and showing us things we've been dying to see/know ever since the show/series started. In the beginning of the series Bran becomes a cripple, after which his character remains sort of boring and unimportant because he and his brother Rickon are not involved in anything. They escape Theon Greyjoy his evil plan and travel north. However, Bran is rather important now or at least, so it seems. He's discovering a lot of important and cool information and I simply cannot wait to see more of him. I want to know what happens to him and what else he will see.

As for my least favourite characters, I won't go into as much detail because I think it is quite clear why I (or anyone really) would dislike these characters. This list, however, does not include the most obvious choices (such as Joffrey or Ramsey, because those are too obvious).
  1. Sansa Stark: probably because I like Arya so much. It's hard to like both. I mean, stop whining! Other characters have had to face worse. You wanted to be with Joffrey, it's your own damn fault that you wouldn't listen to your family. Though to be fair she's going in the right direction now because she's being nice to my favourite character. Still don't trust her though.
  2. Theon Greyjoy: simply because of everything he did before he became Reek, he's made up for it a little bit.
  3. Viserys Targaryen, because he was such a douche-bag who truly mistreated his sister.
Lastly I would like to talk about my favourite kills in the series. Now I know there are many but I will only mention three. Firstly I'd like to say that there is only one kill I absolutely hate and will never accept and that's Oberyn Martell (played by Pedro Pascal). It was entirely his own fault, that much is true, but I had a lot of hope for this character. I liked him because he was very similar to Jaime, but more awesome because he hated Cercei (actually, he hates all Lannisters but you know what I mean).
  1. Joffrey Baratheon: not only because he needed to die, but because it was done so beautifully. He never saw it coming and I love that, just the utter surprise, so good.
  2. Viserys Targaryen: just because it was epic.
  3. Eddard Stark: simply because he needed to die for the series to exist. Next to the fact that it set the tone for the rest of the series. Lastly, I mean he was played by Sean Bean, we knew he'd die (even if you had not read the books).
I hope you enjoyed my list. Let me know in the comments what you think about it (do you agree or do you disagree?), I'm curious. I wrote this after watching episode five of season six, so this might change over the course of the next five episodes. Lets hope that my favourite characters don't die.. fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment