Monday, 5 January 2015

The Giver

The Giver is based on a novel with the same name, published in 1993, written by Lois Lowry. Like many others might have mentioned before, this book is slightly like Divergent, The Maze Runner and The Hunger Games. It has a character who changes everything. Not on purpose, it just happens. However those books were all published more than ten years after the Giver was released so I think it's unfair to compare this book to those books. It should be the other way around.

'In a seemingly perfect community, without war, pain, suffering, differences or choice, a young boy is chosen to learn from an elderly man about the true pain and pleasure of the 'real' world'. - IMDB

Unfortunately I did not hear about this story prior to reading Divergent and The Hunger Games. I decided not to read the book at all due to the fact that I was not looking to read another one of those books, which is a shame obviously. I however did watch the movie and it surprised me a little bit. It never appeared in the cinema's in this country (even though I was waiting for that) which made me believe that the movie was no good. This was not the case. The story is pretty solid. The acting is pretty good as well. But that was to be expected since the movie stars Meryl Streep, Katie Holmes, Jeff Bridges, Alexander Skarsgard and Brenton Thwaites.

This story is about a boy called Jonas who is chosen to learn from the Giver. When asked if he is strong enough and prepared for this task Jonas has no idea what he is about to face. He is asked to never discuss anything he sees or learns in these sessions with the Giver, but he fails to keep most things a secret. He shares it with one of his childhood friends called Fiona. She doesn't understand what he is trying to do but she trusts him enough to listen to him. After a while she starts to see what he is seeing and things start to unravel. In this community it is not appreciated to sway from the rules and Jonas is doing so. It's thrilling but it wasn't very catching. I found the movie a tat boring. The story is strong and good but it was too familiar to really catch my attention.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. This book shouldn't be compared to other recent dystopians.
    I read the book sometime ago and I'm glad I did because if I were to read it now I will sure hate it because I'm tired of the genre. I like the ending of the movie. It was kind of magical although it's common in movies to do something like that but I still love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!
      I wish I had read it before reading all of those.
      Yeah they use the magical/emotional aspect a lot in movies, something I'm sort of tired off :P hihi

      Delete