Friday, 23 May 2014

Sparred up

Last week my boyfriend and I went to the Sneak Preview. Like always, I was very excited 'cause it could be anything. There are a lot of movies coming out this month and the following months (like X-Men, The Fault in our Stars and How to Train your Dragon 2) which I want to see (desperately). It turned out to be a movie I hadn't heard off yet, which happens more often than I care to admit. I try so hard to keep up to date. Namely Starred Up (staring Jack O'Connell, who also plays a part in 300: Rise of an Empire).

The movie starts rather slow. It's not really clear what it is about yet, who the main character is and what his back story is, what is he doing there? Where did he come from? What did he do? A lot of questions remain. My boyfriend got bored pretty soon and actually wanted to leave after 20 minutes. He had a point, if you are not in the mood for a slow movie and were just hoping for an exciting action-filled movie, this is not the movie for you (at that moment).

After a while everything became clearer. This story is about a 19 year old guy (I wanted to say boy but honestly, I would never call a guy like that boy) called Eric Love (such a weird last name). In the beginning of the movie he gets transferred to an adult all male prison in Ireland. He is by far the youngest one there but also maybe the most dangerous. He isn't quite used to being the youngest and along with that also not used to no longer being the toughest one there. He meets several guys who are stronger but also more powerful than he is. Since he is new, he doesn't have any connections yet. He appears to be on his own.


You soon realize that Eric's dad is in the very same prison (yeah, explains why he turned out to be like this at 19, he didn't have the greatest role-model of all). His father, Neville Love, has a lot of connections in the prison (since he has been there for at least 15 years already) and is trying to help his son with those connections. He doesn't realize that he isn't the only one trying to look out for Eric. Eric is already trying to find his own way and trying to make his own friends, which is why Neville's help turn against Eric and resolves in a lot of problems for both sides.

Neville never realized his son turned into a man. A man who learned to take care of himself, more or less.  Eric doesn't need his father to protect him. This is very hard for Nev to process. He wants his baby boy back. The boy he left behind when he went to prison. The one that still needed to grow up and still needed his protection. This man no longer looks up to him, he looks down on him. Neville can't accept that and tries to push him back into that position. Tries scare him into obedience, which makes Eric even more angry and dangerous.

This movie really scared me. It shows how certain kids aren't given a proper chance in the world. Eric never had a chance. He grew up in an environment where he had to fight to be able to life. Had to kill in order not to be killed himself. It has nothing to do with him being a bad guy because he is not. He just never had a chance to change into something new/good. No role-model, no example. This bothers me as much as it bothers Oliver (played by Rupert Friend). It is why I used to want to practice criminology. I wanted to help people like Eric. But I could never do that, because just like Oliver I would get emotionally involved. Try to save them no matter the cost. You simply can't safe everyone.. I wish I could. But we can't.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah the master of her genre is back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You surely do know who was commenting, right, dear? :)

      Delete
    2. Of course. The Anonymous thingy doesn't fool me XD

      Delete