Tuesday, 11 March 2014

The Fault in our Stars

After a lot of begging, pleading and ordering. I decided to read this book, just to please all those that had been pressuring me to do it for so long (and because they did an episode on the book with Teens React and I realized I wanted to read it before the movie came out. Something I also should have done with Vampire Academy but people make mistakes). I feel kinda bad to tell you I was disappointed though. Since so many people had been telling me to read this book. I expected more, something different than what I got. Never the less, I love this book.

So to please Basma, Layla, Sam and lots of other friends on GoodReads: Here is my review on The Fault in our Stars. I'm gonna try not to spoil anything for those out there that haven't read the book yet. In case I do: I am so very sorry.

What I knew before starting to read this book: it's about a teenage girl called Hazel Grace Lancaster (which to me just sounds like Lannister), with cancer. She has to go to a Support Group, her parents feel that she is depressed, because of her illness or rather her life. She got cancer when she was only 13 years old.  Then one day at support group she meets the gorgeous wonder that is Augustus Waters. A guy who used to have cancer and who is befriended with the only nice guy in the support group, namely Isaac. This is how much information I gathered from the trailer of the movie (which comes out in June), I had not even read a single word from the book yet.


I had my doubts about getting into this book because I already read Before I die about Tessa, a 16 year old girl who has leukemia, which was very heartbreaking. It made me witness and live the story, the illness from her point of view. Like I was actually ill and on the verge of dying. She made a list of things she wants/needs to do before she dies and in this process she falls in love with her neighbor, Adam. Who is slightly older but very cute.

So you see where I had problem with finding this story original. Don't get me wrong, I loved it from front to back. It was funny, sad, emotional, loving all at the same time. But I came prepared. I wasn't pulled into the book at spit back out at the end. I new what was going to happen, so held back from the book. Didn't give it my soul so it could break it, which was a wise choice, since I'm not a sobbing mess right now, but also means I didn't experience Hazel her story like I experienced Tessa her story, a year before.

Yet the words are in my heart and after finishing the book I walked up to my boyfriend and begged him to promise me never to get cancer, ever. He smiled at me and said: "I pinky promise," and then hugged me. It's a silly thing because no one can assure a thing like that, life isn't something you can decide on. It's something you either get the privilege of living or not.. I used to lie awake wondering about what my life would give me and the people around me. I used to wonder how people could believe in someone special up there in the sky when all he gave them was hard and painful times. I understand, it gives them hope and strength to think about heaven, a place where they will once again meet their loved once. Right now, in moments like these (after reading a book like that), I just hope they are right and I promise I will put my stubbornness aside and admit my mistake if it is the case.

On that note, I can't wait for the movie to come out and go to the cinema, prepared and with tissues, to sobbed my eyes out. Can't wait to see the characters on the screen and experience Amsterdam, which felt like my hometown while reading this book, from their perspective rather than my own as a Dutchie.

For the original review on this book on my GoodReads page, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment