Friday, 28 February 2014

Autumn Rose

Finally! About a year ago I read the prequel, The Dark Heroine, to this book and had been waiting for this book to come out ever since. Autumn Rose by Abigail Gibbs. It came out in January and I have finally read it now, which makes me both happy and sad. Because now I have to wait another year for the next book.

This book is all about Lady Autumn Rose, who was in the first book as well, so I had met her before. This book is a few months prior to the massacre on Trafalgar square, when Violet gets taken by Kaspar. She is a fifteen year old girl who lives in a small town in England with her parents. She lost her grandmother, with whom she lived all her life, not too long ago and is still coping with grief. Because of this she had to grow up sooner than you would want someone of her age to do. Mentally she's older than most.

Since she is a sage and the guardian at her high school, people don't treat her as an equal. She is bullied and doesn't have a lot of friends. Her life isn't what she wants it to be and she can't wait to escape this 'hell-hole' at the end of this school year. Autumn is having dreams about the events in London and sees them play out before they happen. It takes her a while to realize they are actually happening. You know a lot more than she does, while reading this book. 

Everything changes once Prince Fallon arrives at her school, things get worse at first. She just wants to fit in and be a normal person, though she will never be: her Sagean scars will always reveal her for what she really is. When he arrives there he reveals her secret and she will never be a 'normal person' again. Slowly things start to unravel and pieces fall into place.

Prince Fallon is different than I thought he would be. He wasn't as old and no where near as scary as I imagined him to be. Kaspar had made him seem that way, but he isn't. I was rather annoyed by how Fallon talks about the vampires, leeches. How he, and the other sage, thinks about them. It goes both ways though, but I'm on Kaspar his side (don't ask me why, he is an ass). My judgement was clouded by him while reading this book. That made it hard for me to get into the different perspective. To give Fallon a chance. I already loved Autumn because of her connection to Violet. She sort of saved her life at the time. Her development through the movie is impressive. Such a strong little girl.

Its funny how everything I thought I knew, is different now. The Sagean leaders knew who the First Dark Heroine (and the second) was long before Autumn knew herself. I thought Autumn knew already but she didn't. Things are so different than I though them to be. In my head she's older and stronger than Vi. But she isn't. A sad little girl, just as scared of what's next as Vi is.

Kaspar Varn
I was anticipating reading about Violet Lee and Kaspar Varn again. The characters I had fallen in love with last year. I just needed to know more about them. How she experienced turning into a vampire and how they handled her dad. Unfortunately, there was very little about them in the book. No insight to the story through their eyes like I was hoping for. You see I love Kasper and Vi but Fallon was talking crap about Kaspar, which made my blood boil. But in the end. I can appreciate both the character groups (though Kaspar and Vi will always by my fav's, their love is just .. hmm). Once Violet appeared in the story, she seemed rather weak and not at all like I remembered her. This makes me sad.

I can't wait for the next book. To read more about Violet, Autumn Rose and the third Heroine Alexandria. For the original review click here.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! I've nominated you for the Liebster Award! Check it out here: http://www.natashaslittleworld.blogspot.com/2014/03/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete