Sunday, 5 January 2014

Throne of Glass


A dear friend of mine recommended this book to me and I thought it might be a good book so I decided to read it. Throne of Glass written by Sarah J. Maas.


It is a story about a 18 year old girl named Celeana Sardothien, she is the most feared assassin in all of the kingdom. No one knows that she is only a 18 year old girl. In the beginning of the story she's locked up in Endovier, the most awful prison there is in Adarlan. She's been there for a year now, while most criminals don't survive there for more than a month. When they take her away from the actual prison she fears it's finally her time to die, but instead of being hanged she gets forced to meet the son of the man who put her in this place, crown prince Dorian.

He is collecting her for a competition. The King is looking for a champion, a fearless fighter, that can lead his army and who can go on dangerous missions. She doesn't have to say yes but she wants to because if she does win the competition, she only has to serve the King for four years and after that, she will be free. She never thought she could be free again, so really, she doesn't have much of a choice. She goes back to the capitol city of Adarlan with Dorian, as his champion in the competition. Sh has to change her name to Lilian because the King doesn't want the people to know that the most famous and feared assassin is only a girl.

I really enjoyed reading this story. It was recommended to me by a dear friend of mine, so obviously I had to give it a try. There were a few things that annoyed me about this book. The writer likes to switch from perspective. Most of the time you read the story from Celeana her perspective but there are a few chapters that are from other perspective. Which was annoying to me because then I wanted to know more about that character, but that didn't happen. So for me it didn't add anything to the story it only took away from it. 

Aside from that the story line is very exciting and easy to read through. Celeana is very likable, as are her friends, not as much as she is but still good characters. Like a lot of people who read this book said: "Finally a YA book with a strong heroine!", I totally agree with that. It's very nice to fall in love with the main character for once, instead of falling in love with her love interest. I feel like she is my friend instead of a annoying obstacle.

You fall in love with her right away and want to know more about her, she doesn't reveal much yet, but I'm hoping to learn more about her in the sequel Crown of Midnight.

For the original review click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment