Wednesday, 15 January 2014

Ender's Game

I just came back from the cinema. I watched the movie Ender's Game based on the book with the same name in the series The Ender Quitet by Orson Scott Card. I had heard a lot of good things about this movie, had seen the trailer a few times and was very excited to watch the movie. I saw it during the Sneak Preview, which means I had no idea which movie I was about to see. Luckily it was the one I was hoping for.

This movie has an amazing cast. Not only does Harrison Ford play the head commander, it also has Viola Davis and Ben Kingsley as commanders. Plus the lovely Abigail Breslin plays the main characters older sister. Okay maybe I should tell you a little bit about the story line before I start rambling about the cast.

Years and years ago the earth was attacked by a alien race called the Formics. They were not prepared for those aliens to attack the earth and a millions of people died, including the hero that defeated the fleet and saved the earth from destruction. To prevent this from ever happening again they are training a lot of kids for the next war. Andrew Wiggin (played by Asa Butterfield, who also starred in Hugo). He is a very smart boy. He isn't big or strong but he is very smart. He thinks of good tactics before he fights, to prevent himself from losing or having to fight again. This is why he is chosen for the next level of training and send off into space. Once he  gets there you see a big chance in how he, and the other kids, are treated. They are treating those kids as pieces in their big game called 'war'.

There were few things that bothered me while watching this movie. Apparently those kids are property of the earth and commanders. Once they enter the program they no longer belong to themselves. They belong to them. They are not allowed to make decisions for themselves. To me this is child abuse. I get it, they don't have the time, freedom or luxury to think about morals, but those kids are still human beings. They lie to them to get what they want and do not really care what happens to them in the process. I get how this values the story but it bothered me. It seemed inhuman to me.

The story was very touching especially how Ender (nickname for Andrew) deals with all the battles and situations he has to face in order to defeat their so called enemy. I finds the right place in between his sisters compassion and his brothers will to fight. Which brings me to the headline of the story. This is mentioned given to you before the movie starts and comes back to you throughout the story."The moment when you truly understand your enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment you will also love him."

Asa Butterfield was a very good choice ans main character in this story. he brings a lot of feeling to the screen. He as a good appearance and plays the character very well. His eyes pierce into your heart and soul. They touch you and leave you wondering. When he cried, I cried. When he laughed, I laughed.

I really enjoyed this movie and I am very much looking forward to reading the book and it's sequels. It's highly recommended to watch this movie (or read the book, obviously).

No comments:

Post a Comment