Monday, 20 January 2014

Captain Phillips

I had been planning on watching this movie for a while, trying to put it off because I knew it was going to be intense and sad (of course I was right), but since it wasn't going to be in the cinema too much longer I had to go now.

Captain Phillips, I had been hearing a lot of good things about this movie, but how couldn't it be good when it has Tom Hanks starring as main character. The movie is based on a real event that took place in 2009.

Rich Phillips is a Captain and is sailing a cargo ship with 20 crew members from Oman to Mombasa. The ship gets hijacked by four pirates with guns. Muse (played by Barkhad Abdiis the leader of those men and 'takes' over the ship. During that time most of the crew members are else were in the ship, hiding. Muse is very uncomfortable with this and wants to go find them. One of the pirates gets hurt and Rich and him go back to the others while Muse keeps looking for the rest of the crew. They take him by surprise and use him to get the others of the ship. In this process they take Rich with them. The crew and the ship are safe but now Rich is in a small rescue boat with four angry pirates. Things start to get out of hand pretty soon.

It's very exciting, but to me it was even horrifying. They start building up the pressure pretty early. As soon as the ship leaves the bay they starting playing music that makes you skin crawl like something really bad is about to happen. This keeps playing the rest of the movie. I don't do well with stressful situations. It makes me wanna scream, so of course at the end of the movie I sobbed like a baby because the stress level was out of the roof. Very well done but maybe just a tat too much.

After watching Buried a few years back i always assume the worst will happen, which didn't make this movie easy to watch. Tom Hanks makes the story very real. I wish I would have watched this movie sooner, I should have. But again, after seeing it, I know so very well why. 

I do recommend to watch it, because it is an amazing story and teaches you a lot about the process of getting across products in cargo ship (I never knew that it worked like that, 20 people seems so little for such a big ship). I will probably never watch it again but I am glad that I did watch it at least once.

3 comments: