Thursday, 5 December 2013

The Wishing Spell

Normally I would not read a children's fiction novel so soon. Plus this book is written by an actor which made me even more wary about the whole thing. The Wishing Spell: The Land of Stories is written by Chris Colfer. The guy who plays Kurt Hummel in Glee (awesome TV-show by the way, always makes me happy). I try not to be influenced by the writers if they are famous for something else (that is why I am not going to read Hilary Duff her books).

I came across this book in my favorite bookshop in Amsterdam, namely Waterstones bookshop. It looked amazing and then I started to look into the story line, which fascinated me. I decided it was time to get out of my YA comfort zone and read this book.

As soon as I had decided this, I was very excited about reading this book. I grew up reading about Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and most of the other characters. I loved the movies (the once I have seen) made about those fairy tales. I read Fairy tales from the Efteling a few times and read it to kids. I bought that book with my boyfriend, in case we ever have kids (which won't happen any time soon), so that I could read them the stories I grew up with. For me this book felt like a sequel to all those stories.

Map of Land of Stories
The story is about Alex and Connor, the Bailey twins. They just lost their father and are having a hard time dealing with his death. Alex is a good hard working student while Connor is better at sports and less good at school. When they turn 11 their grandmother visits them and gives them the Land of Stories book. They loved that book. Their grandmother and father used to read them stories from this book. But then weird stuff starts to happen when Alex takes the book to her room. Soon she finds out that the book is a portal. She falls into the book and Connor, obviously, follows her. That is where they meet Froggy, a frog the size of a man. He tells them where they are, the are in the actual Land of Stories. They can't believe what they are hearing. They try to find a way to get back to their own world and figure out that they can do this with The Wishing Spell. All they have to do is collect several objects, put them together and make a wish. But easier said then done. How will they be able to collect all those items safely, without getting caught?

While reading it I fell in love with most of the characters, all over again. I never thought I could hate Red Riding Hood, but after reading this book, I do. It was refreshing to read about them again in a different matter. Though I have to admit that the story line was on some points a bit lacking. It made me think of the book The Forests of Silence. I read all the books from Deltora's Quest (didn't read the other series about Deltora). But this made me think of that a little bit. Though The Wishing Spell has familiar characters and is more reader-friendly.

I love Alex and Connor and most of the 'people' they meet throughout the story. Though I was a little bit disappointed by how little time it took them to collect all the items. I expected them to take a little more time, meet more awesome 'people' and for it to be a big deal. On the other hand maybe it's good because now it kept me interesting since it didn't go on for too long.

Like I said before, I loved the characters. Even the Evil Queen. Though I liked her better when she was the actual Evil Queen. In the end it was a little predictable and maybe a little bit too friendly, but then again, it's a children's book. What did I expect?

That's all for now. I already read the next part of the adventure. The Enchantress Returns: The Land of Stories. Maybe I will post that review later, since I liked that part better. For the original review click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment